1.08.2012

Don't have sparklers at your wedding. They seem so dangerous.

The Fine Print : I'm 23. I've had 3 boyfriends in the last 10 years. I've been single for the last 3, mostly because those 3 relationships + the "we were never really official but I thought it was something"s left me pretty darn shell-shocked. I haven't told a boy 'I love you' since I was 15... so I'm not really sure if I knew what it meant. I am a virgin. Currently, I am not dating anyone. (or texting or 'talking' or  'hanging out', or 'hooking up' ugh so many ways to say it these days, why it that someone PLEASE enlighten me??)

I was a bridesmaid last October, I'm going to be a bridesmaid again this March, I'm singing at my cousin's wedding in a couple months, and one of my best friends just got engaged yesterday. There are more coming, I'm sure of it. I've already sang at 5 in the last 2 years.

Basically, I could possibly live out the phrase 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride' for the next few years - I have a lot of lovely girlfriends (and guy friends... I DO have those) who are in lovely relationships, and I have the past experience to be sittin' pretty for awhile.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY?
I SAY WHO %@@#ING CARES!!!!?!? 

I'm so happy for my friends. SO UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED.
They found their other penguin! The will have babies one day! And I get to watch and hold that new human hours after its born! Maybe I'll even be a Godmother! They will pick out flowers and venues and flavors for a cake that I GET TO EAT! They will stress over color palets and arguments with the mother in law and I get to help! His/Her house becomes THEIR house. That is so cool. I get to help paint THEIR house probably, cause thats what newly married couples make their friends do, and the unwritten rule is they must provide pizza. Man, I just love that. All of it. Society tries so hard to ruin this tradition and STILL - we keep coming back to 1+1. Its so beautiful.

I love weddings. I love other people's weddings. I love flowers and dancing and bouquet tosses and friends and kisses and white dresses and baby quiches on fancy platters and awkward maid of honor speeches and something borrowed and MANNNN just... its the best. (I do not like any of this if the marriage seems rushed or its clearly a terrible match - thats another blog post, eh)

I refuse to be sad that its my friends and not me.
In fact, I couldn't even be sad if I tried.
I'm too excited for everyone else!
And I'm exciting because I. Believe. In. True. Love.
It will happen for me one day, I have a peace in my heart about that for sure -
but I just don't care when.

In the meantime, I'll be blissfully happy for you.
And I'll wear the dress that you picked out for me, as long as my boobs look good in it.
And I'll sing the song you want, and try REALLY HARD not to cry.
And I'll eat your cake AND OH MY GOODNESS I'LL JUST LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment