8.06.2010

¿Cómo estás?

last night, I went to Walmart.
and as usual, a few Mexican men looked me up and down.
One spoke to me. And I said Hola back... but then he kept talking.
And I stopped.


Why did I assume he's a dirty Mexican pervert?
He did nothing to make me feel that way...
all he did was say hello.
But I stopped talking.
Just ignored him.
I was rude.


I've been to Mexico.
I did not meet a single person who
I thought might want to hurt me.
They were some of the most incredible people i've ever met. 


I made a racist generalization in the frozen food section,
and I can't stop wishing I'd just said something back.
I'm sure he was just being polite?

1 comment:

  1. I don't talk to anybody in the store, ever. I try to be a very good social recluse. Perhaps I'm rude to everyone?
    I never thought of it that way.
    Ponderings, ponderings, ponderings...

    ReplyDelete